Table of contents
But no more. Here we've listed how you can fix a Windows update stuck checking for updates or a Windows 10 update stuck checking for updates. So if you're one of the users who has reported being unable to install a Windows update because of it getting stuck, here's how you can solve it.
How to Fix - Windows Update Stuck Checking for Updates:
Follow these steps to fix the Windows 10 update stuck checking for updates:
1. Shut down the Windows 10 update
- In the search section of the taskbar bar, type Command Prompt
- Right-click on Command Prompt & select Run as Administrator option
- Copy-paste this command- net stop wuauserv
Your Windows updating services will be brought to a halt.
2. Clear Windows update cache files
- Continue in this part in the same Command Prompt.
- Type either of these commands- cd\windows or cd /d %windir%
- Next, type rd /s SoftwareDistribution
- Select all files in the folder
- Delete the files
Note: If you cannot delete some files, try rebooting your computer.
3. Restart the Windows update service
- Continue typing in the Command Prompt.
- Copy-paste this code & press enter- net start wuauserv
By this time, you will be able to install the Windows update smoothly without getting stuck.
Additional Troubleshooting Options->
Windows 10 Update Stuck Checking for Updates
Sometimes there are some offbeat reasons responsible for the Windows update problem. Here are some things you can check if your Windows Update is stuck checking for updates.
Some of the options below might sound usual, but we often skip them looking for complex solutions.
1. Restart Your PC
This is the one solution that works all the time! Simply restart your computer, stopping your device from checking for updates, eventually solving the issue.
2. Ensure Correct Date & Time
Ensure that your PC has the correct date and time fed on its system, as it can cause a hindrance in Windows updates. Windows services might get confused with the wrong date & time according to your geographical location, causing updates to get stuck.
What to do: Synchronize your date & time with your geographical time zone.
3. Ensure Stable Internet Connection
It is essential to have a stable high-speed internet connection to process your Windows Updates. An unstable internet connection makes it impossible to process a Windows update smoothly.
What to do: Disconnect with slow networks and use high-speed stable internet networks for updating Windows.
4. Disable Microsoft Products Updates
You can try to disable updates for Microsft products to enable a smooth upgrade for your Windows update.
Disable updates for Microsoft products by:
- Go to Settings
- Go to Update and Security
- Select Advanced options
- Toggle to turn off the Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows options
Once you disable these updates, you can try updating your PC after restarting it.
5. Run Disk Cleaner
Many times bad and corrupt files infect your system, causing hindrance in the updating process of Windows. Try cleaning up your C drive for a better updating experience.
To run disk cleaner,
- Right-click on C drive
- Select Properties option
- Under General tab, click on Disk Cleanup
- Disk Cleanup window will open up
- Select Delivery Optimization Files option in addition to the other preselected files to delete
- Click on Ok
After running disk cleanup, you can try updating your PC after restarting it.
6. Run Update Troubleshooter
Another method you can try if your Windows update gets stuck while checking for updates is by running the Update Troubleshooter.
To run Update Troubleshooter,
- Go to Settings on PC
- Go to Update and Security
- Click on Troubleshoot on the left sidebar
- Select Run the Troubleshooter option under the Window Update heading
Restart the computer and check for Windows updates after completing the troubleshooting process.
These are some ways you can try to update your Windows smoothly. Using the command prompt method can give you assured results but can also fail in case other issues like that date & time, drive space, internet connection, etc. are not in place. We hope we were able to resolve your Windows update stuck checking for updates issues with our methods.