Table of contents
Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi) alters telecommunications by allowing customers to make voice calls using WiFi networks rather than traditional cellular networks. The method leverages existing WiFi infrastructure to improve connectivity and coverage, particularly in places where mobile network signals are poor or nonexistent.
At its foundation, VoWiFi allows smartphones to exchange voice data packets across the Internet Protocol (IP) using WiFi networks. This means that as long as a device is linked to a WiFi network, it can make and receive phone calls regardless of the availability or intensity of cellular signals.
VoWiFi is implemented using the IEEE 802.11 standard, which regulates the functioning of wireless local area networks (LANs). VoWiFi-enabled devices that adhere to this standard can establish voice connections seamlessly, providing users with a dependable communication experience.
Unlike typical cellular calls, VoWiFi calls provide various benefits, including greater indoor coverage and speech quality. Because WiFi signals may penetrate buildings more successfully than cellular signals, VoWiFi users frequently observe higher call clarity and stability, particularly in regions with thick walls or limited signal propagation.
Furthermore, VoWiFi technology offers a realistic option for users who experience network congestion or poor cellular reception. VoWiFi reduces the demand on cellular infrastructure by shifting voice traffic to WiFi networks, resulting in smoother conversation experiences and fewer call drops.
One significant characteristic of VoWiFi is its ability to smoothly switch between WiFi and cellular networks. In the event of a WiFi network failure or disconnection, VoWiFi-enabled devices can immediately transfer to cellular networks, ensuring uninterrupted call continuity.
This automatic failover approach improves the stability of VoWiFi calls, reducing the likelihood of service outages. In terms of dependability and network integration, VoWiFi outperforms Over-the-Top (OTT) voice calling services such as WhatsApp.
While OTT services are entirely reliant on Internet connectivity and may face service disruptions in the absence of a stable WiFi or data connection, VoWiFi effortlessly connects with current cellular networks, giving consumers a more resilient communication option.
Major telecom providers such as Airtel and Jio have deployed VoWiFi to meet the growing need for dependable indoor voice service. Operators can expand their service reach and improve the overall customer experience by using WiFi networks for voice communication, especially in locations with low cellular coverage.
Enabling VoWiFi on compatible devices is a simple process that usually requires only a few steps. To activate VoWiFi, Apple users must update to the most recent iOS version and enable WiFi calling in the device settings.
Similarly, Android users can enable VoWiFi by going to their device's settings and turning on the WiFi calling capability. In addition to its simplicity and accessibility, VoWiFi provides users with various benefits, including:
- Good Indoor Coverage: VoWiFi provides consistent voice coverage indoors, even when cellular signals are poor or unavailable.
- Secure Communication: VoWiFi provides end-to-end encryption for voice calls, improving privacy and security even on public WiFi networks.
- Ease of Connectivity: Users can initiate VoWiFi calls without the need for extra programmes or login credentials, making the calling procedure simpler.
- Global Reach: With VoWiFi, users can call any phone number in the world, regardless of the recipient's device or network.
- High-Quality speech: VoWiFi uses modern audio codecs to give higher speech quality, resulting in clear, crisp conversations.
- Quick Call Setup: VoWiFi provides faster call setup times than typical cellular networks, assuring a quick connection establishment.
- Cost Savings: Because VoWiFi calls use WiFi networks, consumers avoid paying extra for voice calls, making it a cost-effective communication solution.
VoWiFi is a significant improvement in telecommunications technology, providing consumers with improved connectivity, coverage, and dependability for voice calls. VoWiFi overcomes the restrictions of standard cellular networks by utilising WiFi networks for voice communication, giving users a diverse and efficient communication solution.