Table of contents
Apple iOS 18 Update
The tech world is buzzing with excitement as Apple prepares to unveil its big iOS 18 update at WWDC in June 2024. According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, this could be the most significant iOS update in Apple history, ushering in a slew of game-changing innovations.
The introduction of artificial intelligence into iOS 18 is a primary focus. Gurman suggests the use of generative AI, a powerful technology capable of creating a wide range of content, including text, code, and imagery.
This AI upgrade is expected to transform Siri into a more intelligent assistant capable of understanding complex questions and carrying out sophisticated operations.
The Messages app is also rumoured to undergo an AI transformation, potentially allowing it to field queries and autocomplete sentences. This progression establishes Messages as a more conversational and productivity-oriented tool, improving user interactions.
Moreover, one of the most anticipated improvements is the addition of Rich Communication Services (RCS) messaging capability. This long-awaited feature would allow iPhone users to communicate with Android users more effectively.
Also, Apple Music is set to get an AI makeover, including features like auto-generated playlists that are constantly tailored to users' moods and tastes. This move attempts to provide a more personalised music experience by having AI algorithms design playlists that are relevant to individual tastes.
Generative AI is expected to pervade iWork apps like Pages and Keynote, providing users with personalised content and layout suggestions. This innovation is set to simplify the development of presentations and papers, promoting efficiency and creativity.
Xcode, Apple's platform development environment, is also set to receive AI-powered updates. Developers should expect a more streamlined app production process, which could pave the door for game-changing iPhone applications.
What’s new in iOS 18?
Here's a look at five new features that could change the way people engage with their iPhones:
- Support for RCS: iMessage will finally support the RCS protocol, enabling seamless communication between Android and iOS devices. Users can expect to exchange multimedia files and voice communications easily.
- AI-powered Siri: Siri is set to receive a big boost, including ChatGPT-like generative AI capabilities. This may allow Siri to undertake more complex chores and provide more intelligent responses.
- App Sideloading: iOS 18 may bring app sideloading globally, allowing users to download and install programs that are not signed by Apple. This innovation has the potential to significantly improve app accessibility and customisation.
- Third-party payment gateways: The update might support third-party payment gateways for app subscriptions, potentially lowering fees and giving customers more payment options.
- Powerful web browsers: Developers might be able to construct web browsers without relying on Apple's core technology. This transition could pave the way for unique and personalised browsing experiences on iPhones.
According to Mark Gurman, iOS 18 will offer significant improvements, with an overall theme of ambitious updates. The "Crystal" operating system is anticipated to improve numerous areas of the iPhone user experience.
One of the most notable aspects is the increased usage of generative AI, which promises a smarter Siri and AI-infused functionality across numerous apps. Apple's investment in large language model technology demonstrates its dedication to improving user experiences with AI.
While formal confirmation is yet to arrive, WWDC is expected to reveal the potential of iOS 18. Apple's tradition of tight-lipped pre-launch tactics has yet again kept the entire scope of iOS 18's features hidden.
However, the combination of AI advances and future non-AI advancements indicates a significant step forward in Apple's iOS environment. As the tech world awaits its unveiling, iOS 18 appears to be on track to leave an indelible impact on the iPhone's evolution.